10 August, 2005

not your typical climbing festival

Children, I have found something Very Fun to do next spring. While the weather is crappy and cold here in the paradisical Colorado, I shall be off to Nevada for the Red Rock Rendezvous.

Oh yes. I shall camp out with a bunch of bums and climb on the red rocks. It shall be glorious.

While my discovery of this festival is surely a blessed event, it points out one of the few shortcomings of Colorado.

Our Red Rocks park does not allow climbing. At all. Violators are subject to a $999 fine and/or 180 days of imprisonment.

It's a good thing the formation spans the country. These rocks are fun to climb on, and their energy is so nourishing and peaceful.

I mean, that's what I've heard. I, of course, would never violate access laws, honoring a strict code of climbing ethics.

Okay, let's be real. I've climbed the rocks. In fact, I got some very valuable experience and instruction there from my Partner In Crime*, who is perhaps aptly named at times.

*This Partner In Crime is one of my best friends, who goes on many of my exploratory adventures and things with me. He learned to climb in the military - in fact, it was a motivator to join. He knows about all sorts of things. He will henceforth be referred to PIC.

No comments: